5.30.2008

Presentation Reflection

Reflecting on my presentations in the senior economics classes I feel good about them. When I first got in front of the classes I was greeted by blank stares and puzzled looks when I asked if anyone knew anything about microloans.
The students showed a high level of interest in the concept as I began informing them of the mission of microloans. Several people asked very specific questions in regards to the process of making a microloans. Students wanted to know what the return rate was, if they would make interest on their loans, if there was any sort of security in case the business they funded failed, and other questions that implied that they were sincerely interested in making a loan. Furthermore, many students commented on their surveys that they had no money, but were in fact interested in making a loan.
Many students drew pictures as well. However, the pictures drawn were not the flippant doodles that often decorate seniors' papers. They were pictures depicting world unity, peace, and financial stability.
One student came up to me afterwards and said, "The presentation was informative and articulate, I learned a lot about microloans. They seem like a really awesome way for people with money to help people without money. What's weird is that I have never heard of them before. Why isn't there more publicity around them?"
To her question I didn't have an answer, I am unsure as to why there isn't more public knowledge about microloans. Another student said, "Microloans are extraordinary. I am definitely interested in making a loan. The brochure was great because now I have the information for several organizations so I can choose which one I like the best, and feel most comfortable loaning through." Hearing a student say that made all the work I put into the brochure truly worth it. I felt that I had really made a positive change.
The most negative comment I heard was, "Microloans won't work. Unless they get a s***load of money then there won't be a change. It's a waste of money." If people want to believe that change can't be made on the small day to day scale then that is their problem, because overwhelmingly the seniors I talked to believed either that they can change the world, or at the very least can't hurt it.
That was my goal when I went into the classes. To inspire in them a sense of change. A belief that sometimes the smallest amount of help can make the biggest difference. I feel that I truly achieved my goal.

1 comment:

Tres said...

I was impressed by your presentation in contemporary issues as well. This is definitely an idea that can help people. The fact that people can donate any amount of money, can know for certain where it is going, and even expect a return on their money is amazing. As you said though the problem is that nobody no's what they are. I was just letting you've inspired me into doing further research and possibly getting involved.